Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Reality Bits & Bites

Today I decided to step outside my comfort zone a little. Though I love drawing faces and sketching people the painting of a face is another story for me. It's a bit of a mystery to me and that really bites. Then there is the background... what the heck do I do with the background? The background always leaves me a bit frustrated. But, then I begin and I let my intuition take over and everything is ok with the Universe once again.
So  today I began my art journey by watching a couple Pam Carriker youTube videos on how to add portraits into your art Journal. Miss Carriker is a beautiful artist and gives amazing instruction (in case you're interested). But, her  videos are meant to entice you to sign up for her on-line art classes... I just don't have the patience or the cash flow to do that right now which also bites. Soooooo, I watch the video a few times through and do my best. In fact I feel that I learn a lot by doing it this way and the final product is more mine than if I took some on-line course.
The bit I find interesting is how during the process, I go from liking what I have created in the beginning, to not liking it in the middle and back to liking it by the end. Kind of a strange bit...

This is my process:
1) Draw a face and add some shading. You can also use an old book,
 or music sheets, etc to draw on,so you will see some 
of the words peaking through. 
(If you use a book or separate paper to draw your face, 
cut it out and mod podge it to your journal.)

2)Mix some Titan Buff with a little water and gel medium and paint over
 the face. While waiting for it to dry begin to add some soft colors 
to your background and some collage.

3)Blend two different skin tones into the titan buff. 
One to give you a high light and another to create a low light, 
then apply them accordingly to the areas of your portrait.

4)Do a little stamping or writing on your background to start creating depth.

5)Keep working your face and background until you have your desired affects.

Be patient with yourself. I find it useful to walk away for a bit and then come back to see my work with fresh eyes.
Live happy, Be creative, and Love Yourself!
Danine

No comments:

Post a Comment